Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"I HATE MATH"

It seems like now-a-days math is an "I get it" or "I don't get it" kind of subject.  They way I see it, math is all about building upon what you previously learned, so when I child slips, trips, or falls, they immediately fall behind and stay behind.  When a kid exclaims, "I don't like math" or "Im not good at math", it usually means that they were never into it to begin with.  Just as we learn about the different types of way children learn, some children's brains just do not function mathematically.  This just means that we will have to take some extra time to work with them because it will not come easy.

2 comments:

  1. You are right math definitely builds on what is previously learned and if a child fails to understand a part of that.....bad news ahead. It is important to know all of your students and give those who do not understand more help or different strategies for learning. For a child to say "I hate math" could be red flag that they are lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!
    I believe that we need to realize those struggling learners in math and not get frustrated with them but nurture them a little more than others. I agree that it is very easy to fall behind in math and that is when we need to step in and pick those kids back up to get them running again! Extra tutoring after school and encouraging work at home are some ways that we can do this.

    ReplyDelete